Thursday, March 01, 2007

3-09: 2/28 Recap: This Is The Spawning Of The Cage And Aquarium

It's been a while since we tinkered with the formula, and while I think the changes were mostly successful, it turned out the questions themselves this week were a bit on the easy side. (when three teams break fifty points, it's time to bring out the all-Indonesian Dub Poetry audio round and the "Bobsledding Legends of the 1930's" version of the Name Threes. Don't think I don't have that stuff on tap. I don't, but I could.) Seriously, if it weren't for the fact that people came from as far as Seattle to join us (impulse travel is one of the more wonderful irrational decisions one can make), I'd have been pissed at how smart you guys were.

Oh, the hell with it. I could never stay mad at you.

This week's rounds:

1. On This Day

2. Audio Round: Jose, Can You "C?" - Featuring Cream, Crowded House, Cinderella, the Commodores, and Irene Cara (the subject of my favorite scene from the movie DC Cab, when Tyrone (Charles Barnett) freaks out over her (a part of that scene starts off this video; that's all I got).

3. Do Submarines Dream of Electric Fish? - In the spirit of this week's aquarium prize, Janet & I did an aquatic-themed couple of rounds. in this one, I asked a question about the very non-Canadian Abe Vigoda, who is apparently still very much alive (and whom Janet runs into every once in a while; I'm guessing they go to the same raves & mudwrestling nights around town).

4. Waters - In which Janet asked questions about Ethel Waters (but not John Waters, Barry Goldwater or Sam Waterston) and which NYC river had a beaver dam built across it.

5. Name 3's - I was very proud of how few of you knew about the three hosts of Fox News Channel programs, especially since quite a few of you recognized the three Oscar-nominated animated shorts and knew (or at least guessed) what a snickerdoodle was.

Lots of teams this week, which was great, and it seemed like everyone came fairly early. We could have started a little after seven, and it would have been fine. (before trivia starts, it's happy hour, so if you get there early, most of the bar items are half price). This week, you were:
  • 1st Place: We Are Eddie Murphy's Venting Spleen! (Winners of the aquarium by dint of getting a perfect 20 on the first two rounds, they took it and bolted without even collecting the carrying bag I brought for it. Tut, tut, tut.)

  • 2nd Place: There Are Rats In My Kitchen Too, But You Don't See News Vans Outside My Apartment They Eat At Nobu

  • 3rd place: Salmonella Fitzgerald Kennedy



    Followed by (in no particular order):

  • Three Men & A Little Lady

  • Stephen Hawking's Football Boots

  • Jennifer Hudson's Cape

  • We Need That Hermit Crabitat Desperately! (Sorry.)

  • Making It Reign (I didn't realize until just as I typed that: Was this a double reference to Helen Mirren and Pacman Jones? Nice!)

  • Drunken Cuban Cheetahs!

  • Powerpuff Girls!

  • Katastrophic Retardation! (Your guess is as good as mine.)

  • The Good, The Bad, and the Helen Mirren

  • Dung Monkey



Aside from the aquarium, We also gave away a big picture book of the life of Steve Irwin (including updated photos from his funeral!!), Richard Roeper's new book Sox And The City (which Janet repped, yay her), as well as the usual choco-dippy Japanese cookie contraptions and inexplicable Engrish packaging you've come to love so.

Next week, I will be out, but I leave my duties in the capable hands of Sam, who is a mental ninja, specializing in civics, indie rock and current affairs (none of which may wind up in his actual question set; homey knows a lot about a lot). Your free ride on the Tony's Easy Question Express is about to end, sweet babies! For a week, anyway. I'll be back March 14th. Play nice.