Thursday, June 08, 2006

6/7 Recap

Oh, good. Blogger was down yesterday. Anyhow. Here's what went down. It was a great night.

1. On This Day - It was Prince Rogers Nelson's birthday on Wednesday. Every time I hear his name, I can't get Boy George's description of him out of my head: "He looks like a baby dipped in pubic hair." (More on both of them below.)

2. Audio Round: "Sex Beat... Go!" - The title is from a Gun Club song that I used the last time I put a round like this together for a different trivia night, a couple of years ago. Songs included:
  • Hot Chocolate - You Sexy Thing
  • Ron Sexsmith - Strawberry Blonde
  • Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll
  • David Essex - Rock On
  • Timbuk 3 - Too Much Sex, Not Enough Affection
  • Sex Pistols - Silly Thing
  • Salt & Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex
  • Alien Sex Fiend - Now I'm Feeling Zombiefied
  • Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
  • Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Bell Bottom

The Alien Sex Fiend song didn't go over very well. Sorry about that. I was hoping for a couple more goths in the hizzy. Actually, scratch that. There won't be tons of old-school goth in future audio rounds. I just don't have it, and I never find myself wanting to listen to it. (I seriously considered using "Sexy Motherfucker" by Prince, but I decided against it at the last minute.)

3. Spelling - to commemorate our newest sponsor, I figured I would get my Spelling jones out of the way early. I was very pleased that so many of you spelled "ursprache" correctly, but that was tempered by the fact that so many of you knew who Tori Spelling's new husband was. The hell, people.

4. More Marilyns - Janet found a rich vein of Marilyniana when she researched her Mostly Marilyn Monroe round last week, so she just ran with it. Marilyn Manson's new wife, Boy George's friend the drag artist Marilyn and their musical, Marilyn Munster's home address, and Marilyn vos Savant's column were largely answered correctly. I say this a lot: the louder some of you complain about how hard it is, the better you do. (If we did a Nuclear Physics round and a "Real World" round or something, I'd bet you a dollar -- a whole dollar! That's half of what I earn in a week! -- you'd know more about physics than about who's shtupping whom on the MTV.)

5. True/False - Apparently, the Calcutta Stock Exchange (the second largest stock exchange in India) has changed its name, seeing as the city of Calcutta itself has changed its name (or at least the English spelling of it).

Now, some notes:
  • Thanks, everyone, for coming out. Please tell your friends. My needs are few, but Janet & I would really like to keep this night going as long as it's fun for you guys.

  • There were 12 teams, not counting people who didn't play all the way through:
    - 1st - GMFAC (who were in 4th place going into the Scrabble Solution final question, and were the loudest table of the night.)
    - 2nd - Drunken Inquisition (who led for the whole night.)
    - 3rd - Rule 6.2 (+1) - Two guys, one of whom played solo last week and did very well, now with a friend, and they finished in the money. I'm impressed.

    And then, in no order:
    - Chainsaw Dunlap
    - Armless Ninjas
    - Tenzin Tsundue Rules! (I mistakenly thought this was the given name of the Dalai Lama, but apparently he's a Tibetan writer and revolutionary. I am cool with this. Thanks for the lesson, guys.)
    - The Return Of The Best Team Ever Made: The Best Team Ever Made's Greatest Hits, Part 2 (formerly The Best Team Ever Made)
    - S.A.M. (they won our Best Dressed Award for their thong sandals)
    - The Five People You Meet In Heaven Can Wait (I did not like the book, and the movie... well.)
    - The Drunky Pants (who changed their name to "I Swear I Didn't Know She Was 8," which for my money is a much better team name.)
    - Fat Sue's Team (I'm assuming Fat Sue wasn't there, because everyone on the team was actually ferret-thin)
    - 2 Good 2 Be 4 Gotten


What did I forget?