Friday, June 23, 2006

6/21 Recap

I was out all day yesterday auditioning for a game show and sunning myself like a lizard on the verandah while my houseboy, Paco, brought me capirinhas every half-hour on the half-hour (a good man, that Paco, and thorough), so I'm finishing up this Recap before the sun gets too high in the sky, and my deck chair's siren call gets too irresistable.

Here's what we did:

1. On This Day

2. Audio Round: "We're Staaaaars!" - There was We Are The World, and Do They Know It's Christmas, and Tears Are Not Enough and Sun City (which far as I care was the best charity single of all) and even rehashes like What's Going On, but this week's audio round came from my memories of Stars, the charity record from the world's metal gods, under the name Hear'n Aid. Not that it was included (I don't have a copy of it; if you do, I'd love to hear it again), but -- well, here's what did make the round:
  • Deep Purple - Highway Star
  • Flaming Lips - Vein Of Stars
  • Tornados - Telstar
  • Norah Jones - Lonestar
  • Blur - Star Shaped
  • Police - Does Everyone Stare
  • The Byrds - So You Wanna Be A Rock'n'Roll Star
  • Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - So You Wanna Be A Rock'n'Roll Star
  • Bee Gees - I Started A Joke
  • Oasis - Rock & Roll Star

I actually have enough versions of "So You Wanna Be A Rock'n'Roll Star" to make a ten question round, but not a ten-question round that you'd want to suss out. You'd get maybe four or five at the most, and that would be it. (If you have, or know of, another version, let me know or send me an mp3. That round may yet come to fruition.)

3. Bacon - I made a small mistake in this round; while the movie "Canadian Bacon" was the last movie ever released to star the great John Candy, he did in fact die on the set of "Wagons East" in Mexico, and they rush-released that one as well (a la Bela Lugosi).

4. June - In which Janet mentioned Nam June Paik, the site of the recent US Open of Golf, and Juneteenth, but not June Lockhart, the Emperor Junius, or the Brazilian midfielder Juninho. Which, honestly, was probably for the best all around.

5. True/False - Were the Beatles really once called "Johnny and the Hot Dogs?" Was carbonated water really created for the court of Louis XIV? How long can a snail sleep? If you were there, you'd know.

Notes:
  • The teams were:
    - 1st - Under The Dartboard (third time here, I believe, and a first time winner of the $25 bar tab and two tickets to The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee)
    - 2nd - The Brown Bag Of Laziness (who won our first three-way tiebreaker question, about the number of sculptures in Central Park)
    - 3rd - Brick (named for a Ben Folds song? Or maybe a fantastic Ontario brewery? or perhaps the stuff you make buildings out of?)

    And then, in no order:
    - John In The Bar Is A Friend Of Mine
    - Ovid & the Horse Next To Him
    - The Kates (who won the "Best Dressed Award", and who started as one person in a fabulous dress, and who held the fort until her tardy friends arrived)
    - JFKFC (which reminds me of G'n'F'n'R, but has way better taste)
    - Growin' Up Grizzly
    - Bain Dramaged
    - and the Armnless Ninjas (who of late have been all around the top three spots lately, and frankly it's only a matter of time)


Thanks as always for coming out.