Thursday, May 18, 2006

5/17 Recap

We made a valuable technical discovery tonight: the microphones work on the same broadcast channel as the jukebox. This explains a lot of what we previously thought of as supernatural phenomena right there. Electric things baffle us. We plug in the blender, press a button, and out comes margarita. Some things I'm not sure I want to know.

1. On This Day In History

2. Audio round: Shining, gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen/Give me down to there, hair! - Janet got her highlights done today, and so it seemed entirely appropriate. (I also included Professor Longhair's "Bald Head," because sometimes, late at night, when I'm typing trivia recaps all alone and listening to Jethro Tull really loud and drinking and crying, I secretly wish I had a big Samson-like mullety mane.)

3. Cartoons Named After People - in which the works of Matt Groening figured prominently. I considered making an all-Simpsons version of this round, as every character on that show is named for someone, but then that would leave Yogi Bear, Hobbes' Leviathan and Bullwinkle out. (Wait, I didn't ask the Bullwinkle question! Shit! Well, actually, there was a reason for that; the question was ass, and I couldn't confirm the answer being right. I won't even include it here. Forget I said anything.)

4. Supersize This Round - They say everything's bigger in Texas, but Morgan Spurlock (and Greta Garbo, and the rest of the people who were featured) would disagree. Janet may be three feet four inches tall, but she can Bring The Big.

5. True/False - The Current Miss Universe is Canadian, though she was born in Russia; and apparently Amy, our sweet and uncommonly beautiful waitress, lived near a Route 100 in a previous life, even though it says here and here that no such place has ever existed. (There's only one way to settle this. That's right: field trip.)

  • If you came early, you noticed two things: One, that the second-last song played before we started was also the first song in the audio round (Beck, Devil's Haircut), and two, Colin the Bartender walking about the bar in just a wifebeater and shades. It was, of course, a good look for him.

  • The True/False question about Glengarry Glen Ross felt kind of like a dirty trick. It's won a Tony and a Pulitzer for sure, but the soundtrack didn't win a Grammy that I know of, it's never been mounted Off-Broadway, so it never qualified for an Obie, and the National Book Critics' Circle doesn't even do plays, I think. Still, it's a great play. Instead of $25 for first place, $15 for second, and $10 for third this week, we should have substituted the appropriate prizes. Though parking that Cadillac would be a pain in the ass.

  • I just want to officially welcome back The Drunken Inquisition. They used to come every week during the old Drinking and Thinking days, and it was good to see them come back and finish their customary fourth. I don't know what to tell you, guys.

  • The private function that was supposed to happen today, um, didn't. We are available for other trivia-related functions. Contact us through the comments or here.

Did I miss anything?