Thursday, May 11, 2006

5/10 Recap

Aside from misstating which week the weird function is and then grabbing a quick nap before dropping off my rent check and finding myself too exhausted to ride my bike all the way down and getting stuck in the worst traffic I've ever been in in a cab (at least this week), the night was very low key. Everyone seemed to want to congregate in the back corners of the rooms, but that was okay, as the Red Sox were playing the Yankees and god love you for coming out anyway, you national-pastiming freaks.

1. On This Day In History - featuring questions about John Wilkes Booth and Mark David Chapman, but not Sigmund Freud, who turned 150 yesterday. He'll be 151 next year. Maybe we can do a rum tie-in of some kind. ("Your subconscious wants you to take off your pants and buy the table another round of shots!")
2. Audio round: 3-letter bands - with ELO, Cub and Mr. T, but not LFO, NWA or DOA. Maybe next time.
3. Mothers - here's a short sporting interview with featured mother Jane Kaczmarek.
4. Name That Candy Bar - it turns out every candy bar currently on the market was invented between 1919 and 1935. Go figure.
5. True/False

  • The Scrabble Solution Question involved how much merchandise Winona Ryder shoplifted that fateful day four long years ago. Now that we've addressed this necessary issue, it is my sincere hope that we can put that sordid incident behind us, and get to rather more contemporary issues, like which indie rocker she's schtupping. (I'm still holding my place in line, thanks for asking.)

  • Amy, the new waitron, performed admirably in her first day. I don't believe she cried once. You-all are losing your touch. Either that, or Lindsay taught her well. Just saying.

  • Nine teams tonight, which seemed like a pretty slow night. Best team name: Upton Sinclair Lewis Carole King Friday. Those overlapping pun things always get me.


Oh, if you wanted a candy bar and didn't get one tonight, there is of course always more. Come on back next week. I'll detail the prizes tomorrow.

Did I miss anything?