Thursday, April 13, 2006

4/12 Recap

Okay. I'll be posting to this space at least weekly from here on in.


1. On This Day
2. (audio round) Spring Fever
3. Cabin Fever
4. Oh, No, You Di'int! (Everything kindasorta rhymed with "ono")
5. True/False

Janet ws away sick last week, and I drank myself absolutely stupid, but the people from Vassar who used to come all the time back in the old "Drinking & Thinking" era were back, and they should start coming again, which is good, because they're smart and good hecklers, which is always welcome. (What's the point of calling it the Drunken Smartass Olympics if you can't come and be a drunken smartass? Like Janet likes to say that I like to say, I'm just saying.)

Uh, yeah. Notes from this week:

  • I was hoping to make an audio round based on ten different covers of "Fever," but I figured people wouldn't be able to discern the difference between Little Milton and Little Willie John, or Cindy Ellis, Veda Brown or Sharon Cash. So out of the 30 versions, I was able to pull five (Elvis Presley, Isaac Hayes, Madonna, Peggy Lee & James Brown), and then I put in five other songs about other kinds of fevers (it's the only time in my life I have ever wished I had a Ted Nugent record.)

  • The loudest group was the eventual winners, "The Unleavened," who raucously cheered everyone else on, but when they were called out themselves, the rest of the room was eerily quiet. Don't be afraid to bring the noise. Also, the prizes have been getting better every week, and if you dress up, you're almost definitely going to be rewarded for your extra effort.

  • I don't know if they were the funniest team name, but the longest of the night went to "Haha, Haha, This Name Is So Funny. I Have A Distended Asshole."

  • Finally, I'm always happy when someone playing solo doesn't finish last. So "Jack's Joker," good on you for doing so well. Bring a couple of friends and clean up next week, alright?