Thursday, January 18, 2007

3-03: 1/17 Recap - It's The New 'Golly'

I'm not sure if it was the sudden and way overdue explosion of cold, or the impending State Of The Union Address, or a collective hangover from watching the Golden Globes (I feel like I'm one of five people walking the Earth who didn't see them; I had no idea), but it seemed like a relatively chill room last night. Usually you rowdy freaks bring a mighty noise, but you were almost... well behaved.

That was unnerving. Please don't.

Also, I was thinking about changing the way I read the scores. It takes a lot of time to read the scores by rank, and we're running later and later these days, which is not the direction Janet & I want to go with this. Would it bother anyone if I took a page out of these recaps (and the Last Exit playbook) and gave the top three scorers in order and then just gave everyone else's team name and score? When it was a tiny, close-knit group back when we started this, it wasn't a big deal, but nowadays it's kind of become an issue.

Let me know what you think. If you like hearing the rankings in order, I'm fine with keeping on with it. It just feels unnecessarily long, is all.

That said. This week's rounds:

1. On This Day - Happy birthday to Vidal Sassoon, the late great Andy Kaufman, and fellow baldy Don Zimmer.

2. Audio Round: Pleased To Meet Me - I tried to balance off the Kenny Loggins clip with Sam Cooke and Death Cab For Cutie (a band I'm still warming to), but god, what a terrible song. That somehow many of you got anyway. Seriously, it's like I don't even know who you are sometimes.

3. Monkey Business - Not just the Marx Brothers movie and Gary Hart's yacht, but a question about marmosets. Marmosets! Who says we don't stretch your minds, even just a tiny bit!

4. Let's Talk About Chicks, Man. - Questions about Chickens, chicks, cocks, cock-a-leekie soup, and the album that hatched the single "You Never Met A Motherfucker Quite Like Me." (I don't even think of "motherfucker" as a cuss word anymore. To me, it's the new "golly.")

5. Name 3's - In which I gave you the three all-time best-selling Chick Tracts, three Beethoven symphonies, three Rockys, and something about the Pineapple Express.

Team names were better this week:
  • 1st Place: Pluto Nash Won A Golden Globe? It Should Have Been A Grammy For "Party All The Time!"

  • 2nd Place: Hurricane Brangelina

  • 3rd place: π(RATE)ARRRGH² (I had to look up the right codes to get this to render right. You're welcome.)



    Followed by (in no particular order):

  • Googies

  • How The Hotter Half Lives

  • If It Wasn't For My Horse, I Wouldn't Have Spent Those Two Years In College

  • Hamster Huey & The Gooey Kablooey

  • MDIXM37UT* (they changed their name to "Please Count Our Score" after the first round)

  • Kick Your Ass

  • Norfolk & Chance (this name has been used before, both times by a team visiting from the UK. Is this some kind of British in-joke I don't know about? I mean, I get the pun, but is there any more than that to this?)

  • Mango Chutney (good job on the scrabble solution question, guys)

  • Sexual Chocolate VIII (don't assume there were seven before you, baby. You're the only Sexual Chocolate this party's ever seen, gurl, you know it's true.)

  • Silver Fox

  • Penguins Don't Surge!

  • IOWA (where they were actually from. geographical shout-outs always rock)

  • I'm Missing Top Chef For This?

  • Run Obama Run! (later, Run Osama Run!)

  • Schindler's Lisp

  • Disheveled

  • The Gordon Shumways (later, the Smashing Shumways)

  • The Resolvers

  • Army Of Brians (and Matt)


Prizes this week included a special prize pack from the show 24, consisting of a large photo-album book with an accompanying DVD.

I ate all the pizza. Sorry.

Pictures will be uploaded to the DSO Flickr group tonight, as soon as I can pull them out of my camera.

What else? Any thoughts, ideas, input, something I missed?