Thursday, November 30, 2006

11/29 Recap: 15 Teams All In A Row, and Liore turns 24

Okay, let's get this out of the way right now: As god is my witness, I have no idea why I thought bureau was a seven-letter word.

We pride ourselves on having the best-written questions in the city (we know you have a choice of trivia nights, and we're thrilled you choose to fly with us week after week), so when I brain-fart seven letters out of a six-letter word, I take it a little personally. (Although I gotta admit, it is kind of a rush to be booed unmerciful by 75 drunk people all at once.)

Rounds were as follows:
1. On This Day (Happy Birthday to not just one of our players last night (see below), but to Mariano Rivera, Pong, and Mean Gene Okerlund.)
2. Audio round: Ask Any Audiophile About Anthony's Asshole Attitude, the theme of which was apparent and also acutely apocalyptic.
3. Watching The Detectives!
4. Two Countries Separated By A Common Language (Okay, this requires some explanation. The questions stood by themselves, but I started with this list, and figured there'd be enough questions buried in the stories behind some of those words to put together a round. Well, I got four or five questions in, and realized I would have to travel slightly further afield. The only real problem with that is it dilutes the theme; the questions still stand on their own, and nine of them were still pretty much okay. I do understand the abuse, though. Like Jane Austen* used to say: some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you.)
5. Name Threes

The team names rocked this week, like, even more than usual.
  • 1st Place: Shootin' For 3rd! (who apparently failed miserably)
  • 2nd Place: Honey, I Thought You Packed The Polonium-210!
  • 3rd Place: Crunchy Frog

    and then, in no particular order:
  • Stroker Aces
  • Go-Tard Reloaded
  • Fu Stags
  • This Team's Name Is The Best
  • Flynn
  • 12 Inches Of Taint
  • Testocles: The Greek Nut (who won best team name)
  • Clueless
  • Special People
  • Sweat, Anger & Shame
  • and finally, Happy Birthday To Liore! (I hope you enjoyed your 24th birthday screaming at us about Opus vs. Milo.)


*and by Jane Austen, I mean Commander Riker from Star Trek: The Next Generation